Monday, May 6, 2013

DIY Art Work

So I am aware that this isn't technically a traditional fashion post, however, I am a firm believer that fashion extends past just what we're wearing. Home décor is sometimes just as important. I went to a talk last year where Vogue (the Harpers) editor Edwina McCann took us through the many different ways the trends from the runway can be brought into our homes through furniture, paint, art and even tiling. Let's just say she inspired me and ever since then I've taken a keener interest in how I decorate my room.

So, to the point, I decided to create some DIY artwork. Here we go.

Here's what you'll need:

1 Ruler

2 Photo frames

2 Pieces of fabric (mine were 40cm x 40cm)

Acrylic paint 

1 Pair of scissors

1 Lead pencil

Note: The material is a crucial part of this operation, it is (for lack of a better word) substituting art. So make sure you pick something you love to look at. I found mine from a bin of mini packs at Spotlight)


















































1. Take your material and measure out the right sizes for your frames. Make sure to give it a few extra centimetres on each side! Then cut them out.




2.  Take the backing and glass out of your frames. Then grab your acrylic paint and some newspaper (and go outside to avoid mess!) and paint your frames! I did 3 layers to make sure I got a bright colour.

Note: I chose a pastel blue to try and get a vintage feel but you can obviously choose whichever colour you like/suits the materials you chose.




3. Iron your material so that it's nice and smooth and then put it inside your frames!

Note: Try taping down the edges so that it's flat and to make sure it doesn't move out of place.



4. Find somewhere to put them!




No comments:

Post a Comment